If you’re gonna be travelling on wheelchair, we want to provide all the information you need to go around the world and find the best facilities to ride comfortably.
With our multilanguage guides we have visited different parts of the world and found an increasingly aware industry for wheelchair travelers.
travel by plane on wheelchair
Since 2008, all airports have a special assistance service for people who use wheelchairs. This service is completely free but, just in case, we recommend you to check the policy of each airline before travelling.
We also recommend you take the following precautions:
- Make sure you book your plane reservation beforehand (airplanes have limited seats)
- Learn about secutiry controls
- Ask for the help to the airport staff – they’re always available to answer your queries
- Inform about the cost of extra services
- Ask about the cost for different types of wheelchairs
- Remember that no one without a borading pass can get on the plane, so if you travel with a family member to help you, you must notify the airline.
- Consider the special conditions if you want to check in your wheelchair, we leave you the following informative link
How travel by train on wheelchair
Here the conditions of the trains and tracks are still a great limitation, moving from car to car is impossible because of the narrow aisles, and most bathrooms are not suitable for use in wheelchairs.
Keep in mind the following factors to travel as comfortable as possible:
- Book your trip in advance so you can reserve one of the wheelchair seats.
- You can ask for assistance if you need it at the station (it is usually a basic service, but it will help you to move more easily)
- Find out about the requirements that your wheelchair must meet (measures and weight accepted)
- Find out about discounts for traveling in a wheelchair
Now, if your travel preferences are more inclined to get to know the city traveling in tourist buses, do not worry that most have special seats and work with our multilingual audio guides with which you can recognize the most emblemattic places of the city from the comfort of your chair.
We hope that with this information you can make your next trip greater security and easy, now it will only be a matters of deciding what your next destination will be.